Hot Water System FAQ: What Size Do I Need for My Property?28 April 2023
The size of the hot water system you need for your property will depend on several factors, including the number of people living in your home, your hot water usage patterns, and the type of hot water system you choose. Here are some general guidelines to help you determine what size hot water system you need:
• Determine your peak hot water usage: This is the maximum amount of hot water you’ll need at any given time. It’s usually calculated based on the number of people in your household and the number of bathrooms you have. As a rough guide, you’ll need around 50L-60L per person per day.
• Consider the type of hot water system: Different types of hot water systems have different recovery rates, which is the amount of hot water they can produce in a given time frame. For example, electric storage hot water systems usually have a lower recovery rate than gas storage systems, so you may need a larger electric storage system to meet your hot water needs.
• Look at the storage capacity: The storage capacity of your hot water system will also affect its size. A larger storage capacity will generally mean a larger physical size, so consider how much space you have available for your hot water system.
• Consult a professional: It’s always a good idea to consult a professional plumber or hot water specialist to help you determine the right size hot water system for your property. They can take into account all the relevant factors and provide you with expert advice.
Overall, determining the right size hot water system for your property can be a complex task, but taking into account the above factors will help you make an informed decision.
Self-Evaluation Questions for Selecting a Hot Water System
Ask yourself these questions when you consider the size of your hot water system:
• How much water do we consume every day?
• How many people are living in my home right now?
• How many times a day does the average person take a shower?
General Recommendation from L&C Harding Plumbing
Without knowing your specific circumstances, we are unable to provide a conclusive response. However, we can still be of assistance by making some general advice based on the size of your home. A small gas storage hot water unit or a gas or electric continuous flow system is the best option for a home of one to two persons. On the other hand, a heat pump water system is a great option if your house is home to three to four individuals. A large heat pump system or a gas storage hot water system would both be excellent options if your home has more than five occupants. One especially cost-effective option is a gas-storage hot water system.
You can save money and water by installing a hot water system that is the proper size. You’ll have several significant issues if you install the incorrect size hot water system. You can feel confident in selecting the ideal sized hot water system for your home by carefully considering your household’s water usage habits and using the information in this guide.
For assistance choosing the ideal hot water system for you, feel free to get in touch with our knowledgeable team at L&C Harding Plumbing. We offer quality services, including plumbing, roofing, sheet metal, fabrication, carpentry and maintenance.